First, listen to this segment of Pod Save America starting at the 18 minute mark. The hosts, very well-connected political pundits, make a case for why we can stop the tax bill if two things happen:
1) We get Jones elected to the Senate, and then
2) We lobby Susan Collins to flip her tax vote back to NO if her amendments are dropped in conference.
The podcast hosts indicate a likelihood that her amendments will be dropped, which means she may change her vote.
The bottomline is that if we have Jones' new YES vote, Collins' reinstated YES vote and Corker’s existing YES vote, we stop the tax bill.
Operating by the logic above, we have a very obvious two-part strategy:
1) We focus ALL of our energy until 12/12 on campaigning and donating to Doug Jones.
2) When we get him elected, we immediately pivot to lobbying Collins to stand up to her principles and vote NO on the revised tax bill.
HERE’S OUR JOB FOR THE NEXT THREE DAYS!
What’s our best shot at getting Jones elected? Getting out the African American vote!! A leader of the Alabama's NAACP organization has partnered with a group called People Demanding Action to organize a unique opportunity to reach these crucial voters.
To phone bank at home, go to this website: http://ppldemand.nationbuilder.com/phonebanks
Here are the instructions:
1) Click on any of the links under the heading "Phonebanks," then click on the central button, and then click where it asks you to create an "Action ID." Once you have an Action ID and have created your password, you can start. The first time you see a name and a phone number you are already in the phonebank and can start calling that person. That is NOT an example of a voter - that is an actual voter in Alabama. Don't stay in the phonebank when you're done, log out.
2) If you see something that says "Enter your NGP VAN Code," do not do that. Log out and log back in, and that should not reappear.
3) We are calling principally African American voters but it's definitely not 100%.
4) We are mainly calling rural counties in Alabama. Speak slowly and clearly and very politely.
5) If they are resistant to talking or say that they have received many calls already, go right to "I wanted to know if you think you'll need a ride to the polls.” If yes, The NAACP is arranging drivers, and the script will advise you what to say.
IF YOU PREFER A GROUP SETTING FOR PHONE BANKING, there are many opportunities to campaign for Doug Jones via Democracy Action’s local phone/text bank centers.
Please click on the eventbrite links below to register and get details/directions: Registering on eventbrite makes it easier for us to manage.
Monday: 12/11, 3-5:30pm in San Rafael: click here
Tuesday, 12/12 from 11am-2pm in Ross: click here
OK, team - First Jones. Then Collins. It’s a strategy that could work. Let’s put down our heads, roll up our sleeves and go for it.